Thursday, October 11, 2012

Using Scrapbook Supplies for Kids' Crafts

Cindy here!  Like many of you, I am an avid scrapbooker and cardmaker.  My scraproom is stuffed with all sorts of papers, stamps, inks, and all the other tools of the trade.  (I recently posted a tour of my scraproom here if you are interested.)  Yet, I use my scrapbook supplies for kids' crafts as often as I do for layouts or cards.  Here's a recent example:

When I came across this project on artsy_T's Flickr page, I knew I wanted to make them with my 6-year old son, Trevor.  Into the craft room we went!  I gathered scissors, glue, some yellow 12x12 cardstock, a few scraps of lace, and my always-bulging containers of cardstock scraps.

First, Trevor and I each drew witch shoes on scraps of black paper. I was able to hold two pieces together and cut them simultaneously in order to get two shoes, but Trevor couldn't do that. So I attached a binder clip to his paper, which made it simple for him to cut the two pieces at once. As he cut a section, I could move the binder clip as necessary.

 
We placed the shoes on the yellow cardstock, then cut a skirt shape from a scrap of black cardstock.  (Nothing was glued at this point.)

Next, we cut legs from a bright color and put them in the correct location.  We used a second bright color to create stripes.

 
Once the stripes were cut, we glued them to the stockings.  Then we glued the shoes over the stockings and glued the legs to the background paper.  Finally, we glued lace to the back of the skirt hem, then glued the skirt in place.  

Here is Trevor's finished witch: 

 
I made two- the one at the top of the post and this one:



Here are all three, now displayed on our wall.  


I am in love with these.  What a fun way to use up cardstock scraps.  Don't forget about using your scrapbook supplies for crafting with the kids in your life!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I love these cute little witch legs!! This is an awesome project!!

    ReplyDelete